Positions Voted on By Membership
1. Redevelopment Area: No more precise plans should be enacted until such time as the community gets to help develop a specific plan or plans for the area.
2. Mobile Home Park: The existing Overlay district will be made permanent so that each individual property owner wishing to convert will need to apply individually. Residents must receive an amount equal to replace existing residence and assistance in finding alternative housing they can afford with 30% of their income or the difference in rent needs to be paid for them until they can afford it.
3. Peaker: The city council should join the residents in protesting the placement of a larger plant this close to schools and residences. The council should demand that the CEC respect the neighborhood and prohibit this peaker, not treat it like a ghetto.
4. Code Enforcement: Officers must refrain from seeking to search properties and intimidate residents. Enforcement needs to be focused upon complaints and what can be seen by walking or driving around neighborhoods. Before any property is entered officer should have a signed copy of a statement in owner's preferred language stating that the owner understands that officer has no right to enter the property but owner is willing to grant access.
5. Infrastructure: Continue to insist that the city make improving infrastructure and maintaining infrastructure its highest priority. City is expected to hold another workshop in May when they will discuss funding possibilities.
a. SWCVCA should urge the city to spend resources on prevention of graffiti as well as eradication. (Please report problems to 691-5198 (if you witness someone in the act of doing graffiti CALL 911!)
b: SWCVA should urge the city to adopt the same park to resident ratio in the west as in the east and seek funding to provide more parks.
c: It should be a policy of SWCVA to promote the preservation of historic buildings in the Southwest.
d: A committee of those concerned about safety issues such as traffic lights, speed, and lighting shall be formed to attend safety commission meetings and voice the concerns of community members in the name of SWCVA.
e: SWCVA to support the Climate Change Working Group recommendations.